Saturday, December 12, 2009

This is my new Open SUSE computer. I am enjoying it. Sometimes I feel it is a vain pursuit, and it probably is. I don't find too much interest in things these days. The term for what I have is anhedonia, I believe. I believe it was coined by the psychologist, William James.

Anhedonia: an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, social interaction or sexual activities. That is from Wiki. Researchers theorize that anhedonia may result from the breakdown in the brain's reward system, involving dopamine pathways. Two 2005 studies by Paul Keedwell MD of King's College found that certain sections of the brain in depressed subjects had to work harder to process happy thoughts.

Well, anyway. I have developed an interest and fondness for Linux computers. It is somewhat of a clandestine pleasure to get them working and configured, and thus escape all the problems of Windows: malware, virii, nagware, licenses, etc.

I now have two distros installed: this one, OpenSUSE 11.2, and Mint Elyssa (Fluxbox Edition). I am thinking about installing Fedora 12.

Well, enough for now. I love My Open SUSE. I hope I don't break something in it or discover a fatal flaw.

The end to another pleasurable, meaningless day.It did have some value. The sunset was gorgeous even though it was raining and you couldn't see the sun. There is something about the sunset that stirs something in me, and temporarily breaks up the iciness.

I can live forever with this OpenSUSE 11.2, even though I don't do anything with it except fetishize it and obsess over it. I guess there's a value to that, however miniscule. It is one of the few unadulterated pleasures left to me.





No comments: